Thanks for a great summer!
Information about this summer will be available soon.
Camp will be $80 a week, regardless of days attended, but will include at least one field trip (or reverse field trip, where people from our community bring us a program) per week. There is a payment plan available, but a non-refundable $10/week deposit for each family is required to save your spot.
The Summer Day Camp will start on June 14, 2020, the Monday after the last day of the regular Polk County School year. This summer, it will operate from 9:00am-4:30pm Monday through Friday, with FREE before and aftercare available from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm. We provide a fun-filled, active, and educational experience for children ages 4 - 14. Children must be 4 before the beginning of day camp and must have been in a preschool/school setting prior to attendance.
Camp will be held at Tryon Elementary School. Campers will be in small groups with counselors for the entire week. If you have children in both age groups, you will drop off your children at Stearns and we will shuttle them to the middle school.
1) Payments are due the Monday before each week. Delinquency will not be tolerated and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2) Each week’s activities, crafts, and field trip will be themed. The weekly themes are on the YMCA Website.
3) There will be “clubs” for the campers to sign up for that meet throughout the summer. We will try to let everyone have their first choice. Here are some sample clubs:
Creative Crew Club: Campers will design and create murals, mosaics, and other long-term art around Stearns Gym.
Garden Guardians Club: Campers will travel to area elementary schools to maintain vegetable gardens. They will harvest any vegetables/fruit and learn how to prepare and eat them.
Junior Adventurers Club: Campers will travel to area trails and complete all of the hikes in the Pardee and Conserving Carolina White Squirrel Challenge.
STEM Explorers Club: Campers will use hands-on science, technology, engineering, and math activities to learn about the world around them.
Junior Chef Club: Campers will cook (and eat) dishes they prepare with counselors' help.
4) We will have a computer kiosk with electronic check-in in the lobby each morning until 9:15 am, after which time you must come up to the office to sign your child in. The kiosk will be available for electronic check out at 4:30 pm. If you need to pick up your camper earlier than 4:30, please come to the office to check them out.Sample Daily Schedule:
7:00-9:00 Free Time/Campers Arrive
9:00-9:15 Opening Ceremony
9:15 Morning Snack
9:30-11:00 Group Games
12:00-3:00 Swim Time
3:00 Afternoon Snack
4:30-4:45 Closing Ceremony
4:30-6:00 Campers Depart/Aftercare free time
Frequently Asked Questions...
Do I need to pay before Day Camp starts?
Yes, payments are due the Monday before each week of Day Camp. There is also a one-time application fee of $30 that must be received in advance if registration takes place after May. Registration during May will incur fees based on the day of payment (May 1= $1, May 15= $15, etc.) You can pay online, over the phone, or in person at Stearns Gym or at any of the YMCA of Greater Spartanburg branches. NEW: There is an optional payment plan, so you do not need to pay the full amount to reserve your spot for each week, but there is a $10 deposit/week reserved due at the time of sign-ups. The remaining fees is due the Friday before each week of camp.
Can the cousins from Georgia go to day camp when they visit us?
Yes! As long they have registered for the camp and have paid, any child is welcome.
Is there an extra fee for special trips?
Field trip fees are included in the weekly fee.
What do I need to bring with my child to camp?
1) A Rubbermaid-type box with your child's name to hold swim gear and crafts made throughout the day.
2) A refillable, labeled water bottle. Snacks and lunches are being provided this year.
3) Sunscreen is required for the pool, and bug spray can come in handy, as well. If your child is younger, please include an extra set of clothes in case of accidents.
PLEASE LABEL EVERYTHING. ALL BELONGINGS ARE TO BE TAKEN HOME EACH FRIDAY.
Can I drop off or pick up my child anytime?
Yes, but please let us know if you plan to drop off at times other than between 7:00 and 9:15 am and/or pick up before 4:30 pm, as we may be at the pool or otherwise away from Stearns. If you need to drop them off late or pick them up early you MUST go to the office to check them in/out.
100 School Pl, Tryon, NC 28782
Where is Gibson Park Pool?
It is in Columbus on Park St. Here is a map...
Archived Field Trips