Board of Elections
The Board of Elections office is open to visitors.
Social distance is enforced, PPE is encouraged!
Please call 828-894-8181 for help.
2020 Primary and General Elections
Congressional District 11 runoff:
New Date: June 23rd
Early Voting begins June 4th.
Absentee ballot request forms available now!
Absentee Ballot Request Form
General Election - November 3rd
Next Board of Elections Meeting:
May 21st, 10:00 am
Meeting available by Zoom or in person, please call 828-894-8181 for instructions.
Agenda: 1) Consider resolution to let SBOE defend Polk BOE in NAACAP lawsuit
June 2nd, 5:00 pm
Meeting available by Zoom, please call 828-894-8181 for instructions.
Agenda: 1) Approve absentee ballots 2020 2nd primary
@ Board of Elections Office
Womack Building, 40 Courthouse St. Columbus NC 28722
30 Day Residency Notice:
You must be a resident of North Carolina and of Polk County at least 30 days prior to any Municipal, Primary, General Election or Presidential Election.
Campaign Finance Information www.ncsbe.gov
The Polk County Board of Elections is committed to conducting fair, honest, impartial and efficient elections so that all qualified citizens in Polk County may exercise their right to vote. The Elections Office is responsible for conducting all elections in Polk County, including municipal, county, state, and federal elections, as well as special referenda.
- -Maintain Voter Registration Records
- -Receive Candidate Filing for General Assembly and local candidates
- -Campaign Finance office for local candidates/committees
- -Provide for Remote Absentee Voting
- -Provide for Election Day Voting
- -Report Election Day Results to Public and Authorities
- -Evaluate and Improve Election Services
- -Provide Election Reports and Statistical Information
- -Provide Precinct Official Training and Educate Election Day Officials
Other Community Services Include:
- -Provide voter and precinct information to public
- -Provide registration materials and advice for community registration drives
- -Visit community groups for voter/election education
NC State Board of Elections Web site = http://www.ncsbe.gov/
The following are the Board Members for 2019-2021:
Chair Sharon Goettert, Member Renee McDermott, Secretary Michael Veatch, Member Keith Holbert, and Member Scott Woodworth
Director of Elections
Board of Elections Address (Physical and Mailing)
40 Courthouse St.
Columbus, NC 28722
PO Box 253
8:30 am -5:00 PM Mon-Fri